Wednesday, April 11, 2007

It Took Another Blizzard...

The last blizzard enabled me to take a new perspective on my life. This April blizzard was no different. I read in an article this weekend that the first year after your child is born is spent developing a new way of life and then attempting to accept it, and even enjoy it. I know that what "they say" isn't always accurate but I did find some truth in this one.

When I read that statement I knew I had been trying too hard to keep up my pre-baby way of life while also living in baby land. It was not working, I'm not denying that, I just thought that eventually everything would work itself out. I assumed that if I tried harder it would get easier. I was spending too much time thinking about what I was giving up or not doing than what I had gained or could be doing.

I was talking about this with a friend at work and she was able to relate. She always has great advice and her comment on this was that although I'm not able to do everything I want as I used to, I'm not giving things up permanently. Eventually hobbies and outings will return to what they used to be, but they may have a little helper with them. Even the routine things that have become a little harder with a little one around will become easier - or they too could be different if Henry is 'helping'. All of the old things may have a special "Henry Bonus", but really what could be better than that?!

So hopefully as the snow fades so will my old way of doing things. Life has only gotten better since Henry arrived, Scott and I both agree on that. Adjusting to this life is taking longer than we thought, but recognizing the change is what will make the difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments Angie,
I'm a friend of a friend and I've really been struggling with this too. My little guy is 14 mo.