Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Sleeping Soundly...or Wide Awake?

I always wonder after Henry has gone to bed for the night and his jabbering trails off...is he asleep or awake? I can never just leave him alone, I am too curious so I go to check every time.

I attempt to lay him facing away from the door so that my peeking will go unnoticed by his little eyes. However, it is hard to see in his darkened room. I often have to look in a little further. Usually this still goes unnoticed, but there have been a few times that the creaking door has given me away or as I get close enough to see him, I see that he is looking right back at me! It is amazing how much more quickly Henry can turn his head around to find me than I can jump out of the doorway.

Tonight I did not go unnoticed! I went in to check on him, again peeking through the crack in the door. My eyes would not adjust to the nite-lite lit room, so I had to go closer. I could not figure out where or how he was laying. I think this was all part of his plan. Just as my eyes focused, the light caught his eyes and he lets me know that he is indeed awake by blowing a juicy raspberry into the air. At this point I am laughing and had to see him better by turning on the light. There he was doing a push up as high as he could!

Henry's cunning grin told me that his plan had worked to perfection. Of course he was not asleep, there were shadows to watch and imaginary things to kick at. And the day was not over, so there was still attention to be had! I will always wonder what goes through his little head at night (or anytime for that matter), but I can only guess as I pick him up, kiss him good night and lay him down on his back again.

We will repeat this routine a few more times before he is soundly sleeping...but I will keep sneaking in to check on him, and smile everytime!

2 comments:

Sonny Huisman said...

I have been close to caught many times . . . when I sense that Bella is going to catch me, I drop to the floor and wait for her to settle before crawling out of the room.

I'm sure it's a humorous site!

Olivia said...

Levi has caught me up-close peeking a few times. It scares me more than it startles him, I think. The way he just stays laying there and staring at me makes me wonder if he's really awake - kind of eerie!

Sonny - the visual of the "stealth" exit cracks me up!