Friday, March 23, 2007

For the Love of Frosting

I think that it all started when we were allowed to eat frosting on graham crackers whenever we went to Aunt Lil's. She and Uncle Doug decorate cakes and always have an ample supply. I have always loved licking the beaters, or just eating a spoonful. Cake or graham cracker...not necessary.

When it is accompanied by cake I was (and still am) always willing to take the edge or corner piece with the extra frosting when no one wants it. I would even scope one out before taking a piece from a table full. It took a little while for Scott to learn that I was not the girl who doesn't need the extra sugar - I lived for it - so don't offer to get me some and come back with a skimpy piece and loaded piece expecting to eat the good one yourself. No, I will eat frosting off your plate every time!

No frosting is immune either. Butter cream, chocolate, Arnie's, Costco, and the most convenient: Betty Crocker. It's on sale this week at Meijer, only $1 a tub. My first trip this week I held back, the second trip, not so strong. I made cupcakes, just to have leftover frosting...wow, it is sad to admit that really. But at least this time there were cupcakes, normally it is just an open tub sitting helpless in the fridge, tucked just behind the condiments my husband doesn't eat so that he won't know it is there, ready to be dipped into at any time. It's defenseless to my advances...never stood a chance.

In fact, Scott is out in the garage right now. I took advantage of this by indulging in the last spoonful. He never knew what hit him (Scott or the frosting). I don't know that Scott would share in the frosting fest, I didn't ever want to take the chance. I gave him hints, glimpses, rare opportunites to partake, "I'm having graham crackers and frosting, do you want one?" He turned it down every time, and thus, the episodes continued.

It's so bad that last night after I made the cupcakes Scott came home and asked if I had one. I asked why, not admitting to any alledged activities. He commented that I had frosting on my lips. Any normal person would have wiped it off with a napkin or towel. Not me, I attacked my lips with my tongue, no frosting would be lost to a napkin!

By writing this, I know am increasing the risk of being 'found out' by Scott (everyone really) but I think that my conscience and probably my hips are silently screaming against the obscenity that is the love of frosting!

4 comments:

Olivia said...

You aren't alone! After we finished the leftover green frosting from the cake, I went ahead and made another batch of frosting just to eat. No cake - like you said, not necessary! I even put the frosting in a washed out store-bought frosting container to put in the fridge. Sure Levi looks at me funny when I walk around with just a spoon in my mouth, but it's worth it.

Unfortunately for me (fortunately for my hips), Matt isn't so oblivious to the frosting indulgence - in fact, I have to fight him over the fridge frosting!

Sonny Huisman said...

I too share your love for frosting! I too indulged in frosting on graham crackers as a child . . . it was my favorite snack. Other kids may have had ho ho's in their lunches . . . but that didn't compare to the graham cracker with frosting in mine!

In addition to frosting is my love for cookie dough . . . it's my weakness!

Leigh ann said...

Frosting shoule be my middle name, my mom would always say to me, I am makig a GCWF would you like one!!! Only I knew what it meant, and I would never say no.....

If I had graham crackers I would make one now!!! New item to add tot he shopping list, thanks Ang!

Anonymous said...

Angie,
I just finished reading all your entries. You are amazing...which I knew when I first met you. I am so impressed with the site you have put together, I only wish I had the same talents. You are a wonderful mother, wife, daughter, and friend. I miss you.