Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Brother's Love (part one)

We have a sharp spot on the back of our couch. I'm not sure how to fix it, but I know that I need to do something. The other night proved it.

I was in the kitchen getting dinner ready when I hear Meleah start to cry. When she didn't stop I knew that it was more than just the normal Henry pestering that occurs. Then I heard Henry say "Meleah, go to Mom."

Meleah had cut her elbow on the sharp spot. She would hardly let me see it, but in the quick glances I knew exactly what had happened. I picked her up to go get it bandaged, and noticed she also needed a diaper change. I chose to do the diaper first.

Henry trailed after us to Meleah's room. He made funny faces at her while I changed her diaper and tried to get her to stop crying.

We tromped to the bathroom to find the bandaids, Henry followed.

He watched intently as we picked out the right size and shape bandaid. He made sure Meleah had her gear (blankie and bear) to aid the process.

When we were all set Henry suggested that suckers might make everyone feel better, and watching some Curious George would help too.

As I finished getting dinner ready and the kids sat on the un-sharp couch eating their suckers I over heard them.

Meleah: It really hurts
Henry: I know Meleah

a few minutes later...
Meleah: It really hurts Henry
Henry: I know Meleah, it will be okay

It's good to know that in the appropriate situation Henry will be the best big brother he can be.

No comments: