Monday, October 22, 2012

What are we here for?

I started this blog for me.  It turned into a family blog, and then back to me.   I wasn't writing for anyone in particular, until I discovered how much it meant to my grandparents to have a glimpse into our life.  Whenever they called they were quick to mention that they had seen the latest update or picture.  Even when I didn't feel like posting I would try to keep a new picture or two coming for them.  Then life got busier and the blog fell to the back burner.  They always used to say, "We know that you are busy and it is okay." 

But when is the excuse of being "busy" ever okay?

I recently said an earthly good-bye to both of these grandparents.  It makes me deeply regret the busy that kept me from them more.

I have been struggling through the loss and the emotion that has come with this.  As I walked away from the cemetary, I tried to leave the regret there.  Neither one of them would ever hold the past against me, and they would hate that I feel bad about it now.  They both lived to love others, no matter what.

I'm taking that to heart.  It is their legacy, to love others as Jesus did.  To be there for their family and to live as we are called.

Unconditional love for my children.   Listening and watching when they speak.  Disciplining in love.  Laying together at bedtime.  Focusing on the fun.  Teaching them the TRUTH.  

In practicing this I have now over heard conversations that melt my heart, seen love in action by children, heard the gospel through the mouths of babes and have heartfelt moments with each of my kids. 

I am trying to live with purpose and pass on the legacy.





No comments: